Dear Fellow Members,
We are honored to have been selected as the Co-Chairs of the Special Awards Committee and we are excited to share with you several changes to the Special Awards process. Along with the Section’s Executive Committee and Staff, we have been reviewing and discussing the existing protocols and looking for opportunities to improve, as do all of our Committees, the services, and programs offered to our Membership.
Here are the highlights of the amendments to the Special Awards process, as well as clarifications to the selection procedure:
- The nomination form used for all awards will now include a section in which the nominator will briefly identify the reasons for which they are nominating the nominee. Previously the form only required the form to be filled out with the nominee’s name and facility. The Committee felt that a small additional step was warranted to ensure that the nominator has a solid, well-thought-out rationale for nominating the nominee.
- Nominees will receive communication from the Committee Co-Chairs in mid-May that they have been nominated for an award and request that they submit materials supporting their nomination for the Committee’s consideration. These materials will be due to the Section office by June 15.
- The questions asked of the nominees were reviewed and though there was some sense that there was room to change or edit some of the questions, the fact that the questions mirror the questions asked of national award nominees we felt it appropriate to leave them as they currently exist.
- The Special Awards Committee will meet in early August to determine finalists and award winners. The three finalists for each award will be announced to the membership once they have been determined. It was important to the Committee to recognize the efforts and successes of not only the award winners as has been done in the past but also to acknowledge the excellent work and contributions of the other finalists.
- Those nominees not selected as finalists will receive written recognition of their nomination from the Committee Co-Chairs congratulating them on their nomination and advising them that they were not selected as finalists.
- As a pilot program this year, the award for the Golf Professional of the year will have an added component. Once the finalists have been determined, a phone interview with the Committee will be conducted, prior to a final decision being made on the award. The Committee felt that for such a prestigious award and with the understanding that the award winner will forever go forward as a recognized representative of the Section, it was important to take this additional step in the decision-making process. The Committee will evaluate this and the entirety of the process following its completion.
- By the end of August, all award winners will be contacted by the Section President via phone call and advised that they have won their respective awards. Likewise, the other two finalists will also be advised of the final determination via phone.
We encourage you all to start thinking now about deserving award nominees. We look forward to seeing a significant growth in the number of nominees and continuing to enhance the awards process. Once again we thank the Section for choosing us to chair this prestigious committee and for allowing us to serve the entire Membership.
Rob Oosterhuis, PGA
Joe Grohman, PGA